Saturday, February 4, 2012

Confession #12: I wish I had thought of this first....

Follow Me on Pinterest

All you need to peel a whole head of garlic in 10 sec!
 I found something amazing on the Internet the other day.
What was it Vanessa?
Glad you asked. So have you ever needed garlic for a recipe but hate the way it makes your hands smell? Or have you ever just wanted to save time in the kitchen? Well, there is a video going around the web about how to peel garlic in 10 seconds. That's right, you too can peel a whole head of garlic in 10 seconds. What do you think: fact or fiction?
The head of garlic is under the small bowl, ready to be crushed!
Well, I pride myself in not believing everything I hear, especially when it comes to the latest kitchen gadget. You too can own the Super Awesome Miracle Tool for only 3 easy payments of $99.99! But the difference between the Super Awesome Miracle Tool and the garlic video is that the garlic video wasn't trying to sell me anything. It was just showing me how to save tons of time in the kitchen.
The cloves.
Ready for some shakin'
 Curious, I needed to try it. All you need are two stainless steal bowls (one smaller than the other) and a head of garlic. I didn't have any stainless steal bowls so I was hoping that my vintage Pyrex would do the trick.
First place the whole head of garlic in the larger bowl. Next place the smaller bowl inside the larger one and press down, crushing the garlic. In seconds all your cloves are now separated. Yeah! So far so good. Even worked in my Pyrex bowls.
Perfectly pealed garlic in seconds!
Next take the garlic cloves and place them in the larger bowl. Put the smaller bowl upside down on top of the larger bowl. I used a lib instead. last step: shake it like a Polaroid picture. And when I say shake it, I mean shake it as hard as you can. I think this is where having metal bowls would have helped. It took me far more than 10 seconds to complete this. But as you can see from the photo, all my little heads of garlic are peeled. And my hands still smell like soap! It truly made my day.
So now I have all this garlic...what to do? What to do?


If you thought that was cool, my sister, Heidi, told me about the power of  tin foil on scissors. It's super simple. You take a piece of tin foil and fold it over a few times. Cut the tin foil with your scissors and they sharpen as they cut. Voila, they are like new again.
After googling "tin foil sharpens scissors," I also learned that you can prevent your clothes from clinging by throwing a small crumpled up ball of foil into your dryer. Wow!

Well, it's a short post today but I have midterms next week so I am busy making flashcards (Working on a Bachelors in Physical Fitness, graduating this Summer). I will be cooking a couple yummy (or at least I hope) recipes this week, so stay tuned. Think braided bread recipes and pasta....Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment