Monday, October 22, 2012

Confession #35: In order to be in my family you must love puppets

Follow Me on Pinterest
She kinda gets the idea of it
let the show begin!
Some of my fondest memories growing up involved the puppet show my parents made for my sister and I. It was huge, took over our living room. Since we hardly have any space left in our home, I had to make my daughters puppet stage, much, much smaller. I took the box that one of my daughters birthday presents came in and transformed it into the stage. Not as sturdy as wood, but much easier to make. It took me only an hour or so (plus drying time) from start to finish.
Finally my puppets I made years ago
have a place to call home
First I folded in the top flaps. Then folded in the two sides of the bottom flaps. I used colored duck tape to secure the bottom flap and cut the top flap to make a decorative design. I taped the cut pieces to the back of the top flap to secure it in place.
Showing off her puppets
Next I painted the whole thing (pink, cause that's what I had). I punched two holes on either side to thread a dowel through. Sewed two curtains (Liana picked the fabric from my fabric stash). Grabbed her basket of puppets and let her creativity begin.
Done! And you know, puppet shows are much funner barefoot!

A show by Liana!

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Confession #34: Baby blankets can be super easy

Follow Me on Pinterest
I wanted to make something special for this new baby growing inside me, and since I made Liana SOOOO many toys, I decided on a baby blanket.
I picked out this fabric before we knew what the sex was, but I find it even more fitting now that we are having a boy. Yep that's right, Liana is super excited for her little brother.
So I decided on a simple blanket that I could get done in one evening. I took two different corresponding fabric (1 yard each) and added trim. This trim I stole off the old cover to the bumper I turned giant snake (click here for a closer look on the snake) and a little bit of orange yarn.

I pined the trim onto the blue fabric and sewed it on. Using four of the ties (originally used to tie the bumper to the crib) on each corner. Then I sewed the blue fabric and animal patterned fabric together (right sides in). leaving a little space to turn it right side out. I hand sewed the hole shut. Added 5 tassels of yarn throughout the blanket to hold the two pieces of fabric together. And, done. Simple, easy and cute. Only took me 2 hours. From the time I cut the fabric to the time I took the last photo. Not to bad for a homemade item.
Now all we need is a cute certain barefooted boy to come play on it.

Liana calls it "my broders blanket."

Confession #33: Liana's play kitchen is (almost) complete

Follow Me on Pinterest
Liana's kitchen after hours of sanding
I have seen tons of entertainment turned play kitchens through Pinterest and have been really wanting to make one for my daughter. Months have gone by and still had yet to find that "perfect" piece of furniture to turn into my daughters kitchen. That was until I went to my friends fundraiser yard sale. I found the perfect little TV stand. Most people would just look at it and move on, but I saw potential. I only wished I had taken a photo of it before I started working on it.
The back of the kitchen, freshly painted
It was black to start, I didn't want a black kitchen so I sanded it down, took hours, and used a spray paint can of primer on it. Then we (well, my friends husband) cut a hole at the top with a jigsaw for the sink to go in. After a little more sanding, it was ready to be painted. I went with green because that's what I found for free from a friend! (This project is on the cheap after all).

Liana's fridge

Fridge filled with tons of
 felt food goodies
That same day I found the perfect cabinet to be the fridge. All I had to do to it is take a large piece of wood off the top (later used for the kitchens back splash) and paint the whole thing. Pretty simple.

Her "almost finished" kitchen
Back to the kitchen: After painting, I Gorilla glued black Cd's onto the top for burners, placed the sink in the hole, and screwed on the burner knobs. I have yet to find a facet that I like (which is why this kitchen is "almost done"). I nailed on the black splash and gave it some trim. I also added a few hooks at the top to hold pot holders and measuring cups, etc.
 I took an old frame, painted it pink, took some chalk board paint and glued the frame around it to make Liana her own "menu board."

My latest felt food creations:
 fruit medley, lettuce, and a banana
I last thing I added was a tension rob with a curtain I sewed out of some clearance material I picked up a while ago. It's not a perfect match, but it works.
I placed the fridge and kitchen in her room. Added a table and chair set and her dolls high chair. 2 months later...Done (minus the facet)
I am pretty happy with how it turned out.