Thursday, May 31, 2012

Confession # 24: If your car doesn't come with one, make it yourself

Follow Me on Pinterest
Our new ride: A 2003 Subaru Legacy
A few weeks ago me, my daughter and my husband driving and a car didn't notice the light change and t-boned us. We were all alright, thank the Lord. But our 7 year old Hyundai Accent will never see the light of day again. Thus we found ourselves at countless dealerships and checking out Craiglist. We finally settled on a Subaru Legacy. We love it. But the only flaw is that the pocket behind the front seats is missing. Which is where I used to keep Liana's books (the only thing to keep her entertained on long car rides). So I turned to Pinterest for the answer...
2 Caddy's hard at work
The bigger Caddy
And this is what I came up with. I didn't really follow a pattern, I just looked at some photos of the following sites and eyeballed it. I used all scrap material I had lying around, my friends old shoe laces for the ties, and bias tape I picked up at a church yard sale last summer.
Cost: 0.0 dollars. Time it took to make both: 2 hours. Totally worth it. Hope this inspires you to sew today.
All you need, plus a few shoe laces
The smaller caddy
Measurements:
Large caddy:
2 @ 18 x 23
2 @ 18 x 8 1/2 (I used two different patterns)
1 @ 18 x 6 1/2 (top pocket)

Small caddy:
2 @ 11 x 23
2 @ 11 x 8 1/2 (I used two different patterns)
1 @ 11 x 6 1/2 (top pocket)



I added bias tape to most of the pockets, but you can do whatever you like to make it have a clean edge. Then I sewed them onto one of the 18x23 or 11x23 (depending on the size caddy you are doing) and sewed the pocket stitches. Wherever you want them. With the big caddy, I made the bottom pocket have 2 pockets, the middle one have 3 and the top one have 4. With the smaller caddy, I left the bottom two pockets alone and split the top on into two pockets. You can do whatever you want here. Then I sawed on the ties (shoe laces) on the top and the sides. Last step was sewing the whole thing onto the back of the remanding 11x23 or 18x23 piece. Pull it inside out, sew the whole and you are done. Look at these awesome sites for a WAY better step by step instruction! This one looked awesome but required items I did not have: Cool Car Caddy. This one was a good idea, but just needed more color: The Car Organizer. I looked at Four Pocket Organizer  for a visual. This one was cute: Car Organizer. All and all, I am pretty happy on how mine turned out. I hope Liana enjoys them too.
Finished!


No comments:

Post a Comment