Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Confession #2: You don't need the whole apple to make cider

Follow Me on Pinterest
Making apple cider is much easier than you might think. And better yet, it's free if you can find a tree to pick apples from. This summer I discovered the joy of canning and through that I made my first batch of applesauce (also really simple to make). But making applesauce leaves you with a whole lot of peels and cores. I didn't want them to go to waste. So I found a use for them! That's right this apple cider is made just with the leftovers from making applesauce.


First off wash, peel, and slice your apples. Put the apple slices in a bowl of water with lemon juice. You can either make the slices into an apple crisp, apples sauce, or whatever else you can think of. For this cider recipe, all I care about it the peels and cores. Dump them all into a pot and fill 3/4 full with water. Add in mulling spices of your choice (or leave them out if you just want apple juice). Bring to a bowl, reduce heat to a simmer and let simmer covered for 2-4 hours.

 Once the water has darkened, you now have to taste test it (I know, but somebodies got to do it). If you like the flavor, then it's done. Line a strainer with cheese cloth and put it in a bowl. Dump the cider and peels in the strainer. Use a wooden spoon to mash all the liquid out of the peels.
You now have cider! And your house smells awesome. I poor mine directly into a glass jar and let it cool. It's that simple. You can enjoy it right than without letting it cool or you can wait and enjoy it on a cold evening in front of the fire.
and the best part is that it doesn't have any sugar added, it's super kid friendly.
 I saved the peel pulp and added more water and put it on the stove again. Just to see if it will make some more cider for me. I'll keep you posted.
And to think, I did this all without shoes. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Ok, using the peels a second time was way too watery for my liking. But when I added it to the cider I already had you couldn't tell the difference. It doubled the amount of cider I have and it tastes just as good! Bonus. Just remember to mix it back in with the strong stuff or give it to the kiddos.

    ReplyDelete